Curfew is the regulation of hours that specified persons are required to be off the streets at a set hour of the evening. State and local curfew for minors applies to youth less than 17 years of age.
Curfew hours in Libertyville are the same as set by the State as follows:
(1) Between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Saturday;
(2) Between 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sunday; and
(3) Between 11:01 p.m. on Sunday to Thursday, inclusive, and 6:00 a.m. on the following day.
What are the exceptions?
• Going to or from an official school, religious or civic activity;
• Going to or from, any assembly activity for which a permit has been lawfully issued;
• In the company and under the supervision of a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible companion of at least 18 years of age who is charged with responsibility for the minor person by that minor person’s parent or legal guardian; or
• Engaged in a business or occupation which the laws of this state authorize a person less than 17 years of age to perform.
Can a citation be given?
Yes! The citing officer shall reasonably determine if the person is involved in any permitted activity. If the officer determines that the person is involved in such an activity, then no citation shall be issued; if not, then the officer can issue a citation.
Is there a fine associated with the citation?
A person convicted of a violation of any provision of this section shall be guilty of a petty offense and shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).
What is the parental responsibility?
It is unlawful for a parent, legal guardian or other person to knowingly permit a minor in his or her custody or control to violate the curfew.
Graduated Driver Licensing restrictions.
Under the Illinois Graduated Driver Licensing Program, an instruction permit or license issued to a person under the age of 18 years shall, as a matter of law, be invalid for the operation of any motor vehicle during the following times:
Between 11:00 p.m. Friday and 6:00 a.m. Saturday;
Between 11:00 p.m. Saturday and 6:00 a.m. on Sunday; and
Between 10:00 p.m. on Sunday to Thursday, inclusive, and 6:00 a.m. on the following day.
There are multiple exceptions to the driver licensing curfew laws. Check out the Illinois Graduated Driver Licensing Program for details on the curfew laws.
For more information, check out the State of Illinois Law for specifics on curfew restrictions.